Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sonny Rollins: Road Shows, Vol. 2

"NEW YORK -- Tenor sax legend Sonny Rollins was a triple winner Wednesday at the annual Jazz Awards, garnering musician of the year honors for the second straight year. Rollins also repeated as the top tenor saxophonist. His latest CD, 'Road Shows, Vol. 2,' consisting of live recordings from concerts in Japan and his September 2010 80th birthday concert in New York highlighted by a first-ever public performance with free jazz visionary and alto saxophonist Ornette Coleman, was chosen the year's best jazz recording. 'I was born with some talent for which I am grateful,' Rollins said in a statement read from the stage at the Blue Note jazz club by emcee Josh Jackson, host of WBGO's jazz music magazine 'The Checkout.' 'I copied and learned from my predecessors and I'm grateful to them, and I gratefully accept this award,' said Rollins, who could not attend the ceremony because he was moving to a new home in upstate New York" ("Jazz Awards 2012," Huffington Post, 6/21/12).

View catalog record here!