Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Manic Street Preachers: The Holy Bible

"Growing up, few bands influenced me like Manic Street Preachers. I discovered them in 2001 almost 10 years after the release of their debut album Generation Terrorists. The following February marked seven years since the disappearance of guitarist Richey Edwards. Obviously, the Manics weren't exactly blowing up the American pop charts in 2001. So why did they become the favorite band of an eighth grader in Murfreesboro, Tenn.? For many, middle school is a horrific experience. I was a scrawny kid with bad hair, bad skin and a big nose. My classmates teased me mercilessly. I found solace in music. The Manics' angst-ridden lyrics spoke to my tortured teenage soul and like that, I had found my new favorite band. Music was my entire identity back then (but let's be honest, it still is!). The Welsh glam-meets-punk-meets-stadium rock band's music couldn't have been a further cry from life in Murfreesboro. Being a Manics fan allowed me to have some horrifying-then, hilarious-now experiences. ... People often asked me if my copy of the Manics' Holy Bible was a recording of the actual Bible" (Kayley Kravitz, "Growing Up in Tennessee with Manic Street Preachers," Huffington Post, 8/8/12).

View catalog record here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home