Thursday, July 12, 2012

Janie Jones: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

"The star of David M. Rosenthal's rock indie can act, but his soulful duets with Abigail Breslin will leave you jonesing for the album. … KMc: Were you particularly musical before Janie Jones? Did you have a musical background? Was there training involved for this role? Alessandro Nivola: Yeah, I’ve played a lot of instruments, and I played in a lot of bands growing up and I’ve even had to play music in a lot of films that I’ve done. ... I never had any professional ambitions towards music or rock & roll or anything like that, but I’m very used to performing and I’ve done it a lot and I’ve always found that singing is more freeing than other types of performance. Even though I haven’t made it the main focus of my career at all, there is something about it that allows me to feel less self-conscious than I do with other kinds of performance. ... KMc: Who wrote the songs for Janie Jones? AN: Eef Barzelay, who plays in the indie band Clem Snide, which is based out of Nashville. He wrote these great songs for the film, and when I first listened to them it really put the world and the character and everything into a clear focus. I knew what kind of a musician he was then, and what kind of music they were playing" (Kristen McCracken, "Soul Man: Alessandro Nivola in Janie Jones," Huffington Post, 10/28/11).

View catalog record here!