Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Jay Brannan: Rob Me Blind

"It's been three years since singer-songwriter Jay Brannan released a full-length album of original songs. His latest album, Rob Me Blind, is a labor of love that reflects his growth as an artist, and his desire to take new chances. I chatted with Jay about his new music. ... Louis Peitzman: Did you have a concept for the album when you started, or did it just emerge naturally? Jay Brannan: I had an idea of what I wanted to do with this album. It's been a while since my last release, particularly a full album of original songs. With this one, I wanted to do something that was definitely along the lines of my style and my taste. I'm kind of a simple singer-songwriter. I like the minimal vibe of music. But I didn't want to make the same album all over again. ... Louis Peitzman: You've been doing a lot of traveling over the past few years. Do you find that people recognize you mostly for your music now? Do you still get recognized from your role in Shortbus? Jay Brannan: It's definitely both. I think it goes both ways. I mean, Shortbus was a while ago, but I think it's something that really stuck with people" (Louis Peitzman, "Jay Brannan Returns with Rob Me Blind," Huffington Post, 3/28/12).

View catalog record here!