Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Boney James: The Beat

"MR: You recorded "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" on this project, and you've covered other Stevie Wonder songs as well. He's someone you've admired over the years. BJ: Oh yeah, I'm a huge Stevie Wonder fan. He's been a big influence on me. He was certainly someone who inspired me to do what I do because he was a guy who was always mixing up genres as well. He was known as an R&B singer but really, he incorporates all kinds of jazzy chords and solos and things into his music. He's a great inspiration as well and one of the great songwriters of modern times. This is actually, I think, the third Stevie Wonder song I've recorded over the years, but this one I did specifically because he had sort of beaten me to the idea of mashing up genres because this particular song, even when he recorded it, starts with a big long Spanish intro but it's got all of the percussion on it. He kind of laid the groundwork for me doing that so I thought I would do my version of his version of my concept" (Mike Ragogna, "A Chat with Boney James," Huffington Post, 6/14/13).

View catalog record here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home