Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gary Clark, Jr.: Blak and Blu

"MR: Your new album, Blak and Blu debuted at #6 on Billboard's album chart, and it follows your Bright Lights EP that got a lot of attention. How did you put this project together? GCJ: Well, I approached the album in kind of the same way as I approached the EP...I was doing all kinds of things on the album. Basically, I had a bunch of ideas and put them all on one record and I had a good time doing it. ... MR: Who were some of your influences? GCJ: Some of my influences were Jimi Hendrix, the obvious one, Shuggie Otis, Freddie King, B.B. King, Albert King, Curtis Mayfield, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, Lead Belly...acts like that. I could go on and on and on. MR: Speaking of Hendrix, you include 'Third Stone From The Sun' as part of a medley. Is that something you normally play live and then you thought, 'Okay, let's put it on the record?' GCJ: Yeah, that's kind of how it came about. The whole medley happened by accident. We just started jamming around Austin doing our gigs, everyone was just standing around looking at each other like, 'What are we going to play?' 'I don't know, what do you want to play?' 'I don't know, I can't think of anything.' So we'd start off something and that kind of happened and it turned into that medley. We figured we might as well put that on tape" (Mike Ragogna, "A Conversation with Gary Clark, Jr.," Huffington Post, 11/5/12).

View catalog record here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home